The steps for repairing the window can be viewed in the gallery of images below.
- Removing broken side of frame
- Measure details of existing
- Create a blank rail from new mahogany stock
- Mill blank on router table, using slice of old piece as pattern
- Mortise for existing tenons
- Clean tenons of old glue and glazing
- Fit, glue and clamp
- Create and apply new mahogany stop to retain glass
- Added 1/2″ to top of this storm, ‘plane-to-fit’ exact size of opening later.
In WoodDance fashion I was able to mill the 1/2″ mahogany extension I needed for the top from the broken side of the frame, reusing the wood on the same window. Cool.
December 2008 – Happy Holidays